Despacho Process to create with the family.
Each New Years’ Eve my husband and I make a ‘Despacho’ or prayer bundle to focus on what we wish to bring into our lives for the year ahead. Using various mediums, this ritual based on a South American ‘despacho’ process allows you to choose and wrap a series of affirmations for your vision of 2022. This process can be done on behalf of yourself, your family, or your community.
The Power of Intention
This creative therapeutic process allows you to ritually prepare a bundle of meaningful objects of symbolic significance imbued with your prayers. You could perhaps think of it as a way to dispatch or ship your prayers off to the ‘powers that be’. Like a 3 dimensional version of a Vision Board.
The Despacho process is an opportunity to give gratitude for the things you already have, no matter how big or small, and then focus on an area of your life where you feel you need support or grace. It’s a powerful way to set your intentions with faith that good things will return to you.!
Kerryn Knight – Founder Kindred Art Space & Empowered Art Therapy
“Ultimately, grace can never be earned. Like all gifts it can only be received, requiring that I simply open my hands and trust.” Mark Yaconelli
Despacho process step by step
- Step 1 – spend some time meditating on what you wish to bring into your life for the year ahead. Gather magazine cut outs of images and/or words to represent what you wish to bring into your life for the year ahead.
- Step 2 – you may also wish to add small items of resonance that symbolise what you wish to bring more of into your life.
- Step 3 – add some lavendar or rosemary for fragrance.
- Step 4 – gather some wrapping paper, coloured tissue paper or box to wrap or place your items in,
- Step 5 – gather ribbon, wool or string to tie up your bundle with
- Step 6 – find a special place such as an alter table to keep your Despacho.
Remember that in Art Therapy there is no right or wrong way to go about creating so use the directions above as a guide and follow your heart !